Unmasking The Top 5 Misconception About Nicotine Gums
If you are someone who smokes or knows anyone who does, then you must have come across terms like nicotine gums, anti-smoking gums or anti-nicotine gums. And if you are wondering what they are, how they function or what you need to know about them, then you are at the right place!
In this blog, we will not only help you understand what nicotine gums are and how they help in smoking cessation, we will also debunk some myths that are often associated with nicotine gums.
Nicotine gums have gained quite a popularity amongst people who are trying to get rid of tobacco dependence or quit smoking. They are a type of Nicotine Replacement Therapy product which are medically approved to help deal with nicotine cravings when trying to quit nicotine consumption. As well known, quitting something as addictive as smoking or consuming gutka can be really difficult, NRT products like these have come up as great companions that help in quitting.
Nicotine gums work on the principle of gradual reduction. They are available in two doses in India - 2mg and 4mg. You start with a dose that matches your needs and requirements and eventually lower the dose. The idea is to provide your body with a controlled amount of nicotine that helps in managing nicotine withdrawal symptoms that arise when you do not consume nicotine. This step-down approach helps to stay in charge and gradually train your body to function properly without craving for nicotine.
Various reasons make it a popular option for smoking cessation. Some of them include:
Portability and ease of use - They are compact in size and you can carry them anywhere. They are not only easy to be carried around but are also quite simple to use. To a lot of extent, they are quite discreet and do not require you to do anything extra to use them.
Convenience - It is so easy to find the Best Nicotine Gums these days as they are readily available. You can either buy them online or find them OTC. The 2mg gum can be even bought without any prescription.
Versatility of flavors - Ryze nicotine gums are available in a wide range of flavors. This means that you will not get bored with the monotony of chewing on the same flavor.
But even after their popularity, there are a lot of misconceptions and myths that surround them.
Myth 1 - Anti nicotine gums are as harmful as smoking
However harmful effects of consumption of tobacco on health need not be much elaboration, but allow us to juggle your memory a little bit. Smoking is one of the leading causes of cancer, respiratory diseases, and heart issues. It is because when you smoke a cigarette you also inhale a bunch of harmful toxins that damage the entire body. Smoking is not only injurious to the person who smokes but also for people who are around people who smoke.
On the other hand, when you use NRT products like nicotine gums or even patches, you do not ‘smoke’ anything. They are designed to provide a controlled dose of nicotine without the harmful chemicals that are found in cigarettes. Additionally, there is no passive smoking happening here. They are much safer and play a significant role in helping people quit smoking.
Myth 2 - NRT is ineffective in the long run
Many people believe that chewing on nicotine gums or using nicotine patches are only temporary solutions and are not effective for long-term quitting. In reality, NRT products are as effective in short-term quitting and long-term quitting. They are designed to help you control the amount of nicotine you put into your system. You can slowly and gradually decrease the dose of nicotine, breaking away the body’s dependence on it completely.
Myth 3 - People get addicted to nicotine gums
See, nicotine gums do contain nicotine which is an addictive substance. But the whole point of these gums is to be in charge of the amount of nicotine you put in your body. Of course, you are not supposed to have them when you are still smoking as this will only cause a nicotine overdose. You need to be sensible and responsible while using nicotine gums.
Myth 4 - Nicotine gums harm oral health
While excessive smoking will definitely impact oral health, using nicotine gums will not do much harm. There are many sugar-free Nicotine Gums in India that you can count on. They reduce the risk of potential dental concerns, help you maintain good oral hygiene and help you deal with oral fixation of cigarettes.
Myth 5 - Nicotine gums in India are expensive
They might seem a bit expensive when compared to cigarettes but compare the cost associated with the health risks of smoking. Additionally, when compared to other NRT products, nicotine gums are quite cost-effective.
Now that you have gone through most of the myths associated with nicotine gums and are aware of the facts, it is our duty to also make you aware of a few dos and don'ts of using nicotine gums:
1) First of all, always consult your healthcare provider before getting started on any NRT product - be it nicotine gums or any other product. NRT products are medicated products and hence it is important to consult a doctor before consuming them. Your doctor will not only help you identify the dose as per your lifestyle and smoking habits but will also help by making a personalized smoking cessation plan that will increase the chances of you quitting.
2) Secondly, if you are pregnant or a teenager, it is important for you to NEVER start using nicotine gums without proper consultation. Additionally, if you have had a recent episode of heart attack or stroke, then also, do consult with your doctor.
3) Nicotine gums are supposed to be used responsibly. As they are not your regular gums, they need to be treated in that way. You need to follow the chew-park-chew method while consuming them. This means that you start chewing on the gums slowly and as they release a peppery flavor, park them between your gums and mouth. The gums will then release the nicotine that will get absorbed into your system through the mouth membrane. After keeping the gum parked for a while, you need to repeat the chewing. You need to repeat this entire cycle for nearly 30 mins and then take out the nicotine gum and dispose of it responsibly.
4) You are not supposed to swallow the gum. This will just trigger very bad nicotine craving or might even cause a severe stomach ache.
5) Make sure that you do not put more than 1 gum in your mouth at a time. These are not the regular gums that you chew in your leisure.
In the end, we would like to emphasize the fact that nicotine gums are designed to help with managing nicotine cravings and should not be treated as alternatives to cigarettes or gutka. They are supposed to be used responsibly and as instructed. Any type of abuse of the gums can lead to nicotine overdose or make them not work as intended.